According to the first sentence of the flyer Seven Theories of Floating, “ There’s no doubt that floating works—as a therapeutic, educational, and entertainment tool.” Seems a little defensive right off the bat. Arnie, Marla, Steve, and I all signed up for an hour in the sensory deprivation tanks. Sarah chose light therapy. I was less nervous than everyone else about the prospect. Everyone else was joking about “going insane”, but seemed to be masking some actual anxiety about the prospect of being alone with their thoughts…for an hour. Anyway, you go into a room and disrobe. Take a shower then get in the tank. After an hour, a guy comes in, knocks on the door, and you get out and take another shower.
In the tank, I was very relaxed. It was weird at first getting used to floating and thinking about having water over your ears all the way up to your eyes. After some time, I thought about my parents, my girlfriend and her various predecessors (nothing dirty; though we all considered that we could or others could have abused themselves), my fears, my problems, my successes, and my hopes for the future. I did think about some goals I would like to achieve and methods to obtain those goals. Although, every time I quit thinking and really felt like I was doing it right, I would think “Hey! I quit thinking! I’m doing it right!” So, I didn’t really have any major psychedelic epiphanies, but I had a new experience, enjoyed myself, and felt generally relaxed and peaceful. There is no doubt that it works.
There is also no doubt that burgers at The Counter are f***ing delicious.
No comments:
Post a Comment