Thursday, February 5, 2009

Sarah - Adventure One: Ethiopian Dinner

IMG_7435

Everyone has at least one of these; a fact that they make up because all of the evidence around them makes this fact true and logical. Are all digital watches solar powered? Yes. Does that power plant in the middle of Lake Michigan make more water? Yes. Is Jameroquai singing “NIGHT JAMS! NIGHT JAMS!” in that one song? Yes.

When a person’s fact is questioned (and it usually always is) they get a sense that for some part of their life, they have been living a lie. Even if they never wore a watch in their life, and rarely thought about them, the fact that they have been totally wrong can be disarming and lead them to question every piece of knowledge that doesn’t really affect them.

Tonight was my night. I was the only person on this adventure that had never eaten Ethiopian food, so I headed over to Yelp.com to see what people had to say. I found out we would be eating with our hands, and promptly contacted Arnie over IM.

Me: I just found out that everyone eats with their hands off of the same plate when you eat Ethiopian food.
Arnie: Awesome!
Me: I am making everyone wash their hands when they get there. I don't want to eat your pee droplets.

When we got to the dinner, Arnie told Young and Alex the news.

Arnie: Sarah thinks there is pee all over us.
Alex: What?
Me: Yeah, doesn’t it spray up off of the urinal cake?
Alex: No.
Arnie: Plus, we wash our hands after going to the bathroom. You know that, right?

Yes, I thought that men peed onto a urinal cake and inevitably it turned into some sort of spray or mist that got all over them. Do I know where I learned this? No, I’m not certain, but I did grow up with some devious aunts and uncles who tried to make me believe spiders would hatch out of ice if I put it in milk, so I wouldn’t rule them out. I also learned that the milk and spiders thing wasn’t true while hanging out with friends too, but I was eight and you’re allowed to say stupid stuff like that when you are eight.

After we settled on the conclusion that boys were not covered in pee, we ate a great meal, talked about future adventures, and drank honey wine that was delicious but disturbingly colored.

IMG_7430

See you in February. I’m hoping my post will have 98% less pee.

No comments:

Post a Comment